Sunday 23 December 2007

Guitar Fabrication

On Wednesday afternoon I walked up the hillside to the house and guitar shop of Luis Uyaguari Quezada. I had organized the visit the day before through my teacher over the telephone and I was happily welcomed when I arrived at 3:00 in the afternoon. I explained to Luis that I wanted to work with him and that I very interested in learning how to make a guitar. Within a few minutes, we were looking at designs and discussing whether or not I wanted to build a classical or an acoustic guitar. I was surprised at how quickly and easily everything unfolded. My first day at work with Luis is at 8:00AM on Monday, December 24th and we will eat lunch together at his house. He has strongly encouraged me to document the complete process through photographs and notes for future reference. I will be working at the guitar shop everyday in spanish for approximately one month. I will be paying Luis about $500 for all materials and instruction during this period. I feel extremely fortunate to have been given this opportunity.

1 comment:

diego said...

Luis uyaguari Quezada is a great luthier. Wonderfull instruments